2018 MEDFA Annual Conference
Collaborate with economic development leaders, public officials, real estate developers, attorneys, and finance professionals from across the state of Missouri at MEDFA’s 2018 Annual Conference!
*CLE credits are available for this conference.
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2018
10:00 AM – 11:30 AM Board of Directors Meeting
11:30 AM – 12:00 PM Conference Registration/Check-In
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM OPENING GENERAL SESSION/ LUNCH
- Guest Speaker: Rob Dixon, Director, Missouri Department of Economic Development
Missouri Legislative Update and 2019 Forecast
- Randy Scherr, RJ Scherr and Associates, MEDFA Legislative Relations Consultant
- Doug Stone, Lewis Rice, Chair, MEDFA Legislative Committee
- Drawing for $200 Gift Certificate – Presented by M R Capital Advisors
1:15 PM – 2:15 PM GENERAL SESSION: Lessons Learned from the Amazon HQ2 Proposal Process
St. Louis and Kansas City each submitted proposals for this major project. Although neither was successful in making the list of finalists for Amazon’s second headquarters, many positive outcomes were experienced in the proposal process. This session will review what each city considered when preparing their applications, what went well, and what lessons were learned.
- Sheila Sweeney, Chief Executive Officer, St. Louis Economic Development Partnership
- Robert Langenkamp, President/CEO, Economic Development Corporation of Kansas City
2:30 PM – 3:30 PM GENERAL SESSION: Residential Revitalization, An Urban and Rural Issue
Panelists will discuss ways to promote and incentivize revitalization of residential areas, including both existing structures and new construction.
- Rosalind Williams, Director of Community Development, University City, MO
- Mark Stroker, Director of Real Estate Development, Rise Community Development
3:45 PM – 4:45 PM GENERAL SESSION: City Foundry STL
The City Foundry STL includes the adaptive reuse of 15 acres of urban industrial land into a 21st-century mixed-use development that celebrates creative concepts in food, commerce, and entrepreneurship. Financing this type of project is never easy and this session will explore the various incentives and financing sources used for this project.
5:00 PM – 7:00 PM NETWORKING RECEPTION
- Richard A. King Award Presentation, Covo STL, 401 Pine Street (Top Floor Ballroom & Terrace)
- Dinner on your own
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2018
7:45 AM – 9:15 AM GENERAL SESSION: Overview of Missouri Economy
- Breakfast Buffet opens at 7:45 a.m. The session begins at 8:15 a.m.
- Charles S. Gascon, Regional Economist, Senior Coordinator, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
9:30 AM – 10:45 AM GENERAL SESSION: Developing in a Changing World for Retail Shopping
- New shopping habits of consumers
- The continued need for bricks and mortar
- Growing number of products purchased through e-commerce
- The consolidation of retailers
- Use change for malls and regional shopping centers
- Accommodating “hot” retailers
- Innovative mixed-use projects
Moderator: Jim Lahay, Managing Director, Stifel
- Alan Bornstein, President, UTW
- Chase Martin, Senior Vice President, Brookfield Property Group
- Ian Silberman, Principal, L3 Corporation
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM GENERAL SESSION: Ballpark Village Phase II/ The Importance of Tourism and Conventions on Economic Development
The panel will discuss the role projects like Phase II of Ballpark Village Phase have in attracting tourists, and the economic development impact conventions and tourism have in our regions and communities.
- Mike Whittle, Vice President and General Counsel, St. Louis Cardinals
- Linda Martinez, Deputy Mayor for Development, City of St. Louis
12:00 PM – 12:15 PM Closing Remarks / Adjourn
- Vince Garozzo, MEDFA President
- Drawing for Grand Prize (iPad) Sponsored by BOK Financial *Must be present to win!
*Please make your own hotel reservations.
Hyatt Regency, St. Louis at the Arch
315 Chestnut Street
St. Louis, MO 63102
view hotel website
There may still be opportunities to sponsor MEDFA’s 2018 Annual Conference!
View sponsorship opportunities here
Questions? Please contact Jill Quinn, MEDFA’s Administrator. (816) 691-2120 [email protected]